BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)
Parkdale Secondary College runs a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program.
Technology is used widely within our curriculum as a valuable teaching and learning tool as well as allowing real time communication between teachers, students and parents.
Students are required to bring their own laptop to school each day. Laptops can be borrowed from the IT Department with a parents note. The required specifications can be viewed on our BYOD documentation below.
The school provides students with filtered internet access, an email account, IT support and all the necessary Software needed for the school curriculum.
A Compass portal also allows onshore and overseas parents to access their child’s timetable, attendance and reports.
Our ICT Philosophy
The ICT philosophy at Parkdale Secondary College recognises that, in a digital age, and with rapid and continuing changes in the ways that people share, use, develop and communicate with ICT, young people need to be highly skilled in its use.
To participate in a knowledge-based economy and to be empowered within a technologically-sophisticated society now and into the future, students at Parkdale Secondary College will be equipped with the knowledge, skills and confidence to make ICT work for them at school, at home, at work and in their communities.
- What Device and Software are suitable for the PSC network?
It is important the BYOD brought to school is compatible with the school’s network. We support both PC and Mac laptops. We do not support or allow Tablets, iPads, Chromebooks, Linux/Unix or Android.
- What specifications does the device need to meet?
Please download the BYOD Information and Checklist for all specifications.
- What software does my child need?
Students are provided with free access to the following software:
– Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, Teams, Visio and many other Microsoft products)
– Microsoft OneDrive (1 Terabyte of storage for school related data and backups)
– AutoDesk (Fusion 360, TinkerCAD, AutoCAD, Revit and many other AutoDesk products)
– Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Dreamweaver, Lightroom, Acrobat Pro and many other Adobe products)
– Minecraft Education
- Where should I purchase my child’s device?
The school does not recommend a specific supplier. We have negotiated some device options through JB-Hi Fi that meet the BYOD requirements that you can access below.
JB-HI Education Portal:
School Code: PARKDALE2023